Saturday, September 29, 2012

Shaft..damn straight..

After a month of dealing with a sore arm I decided to finally get some new shafts for my irons.  Previously, they were the stock True Temper Dynalite Gold XP S300..about 117g a piece.  They required a lot of effort on my part to get them going.  I also noticed that my grip tension got tighter to when using these shafts.

I've been playing with them for a year, but they always felt too heavy for me.  I previously used the Dynalite SL R300 which felt great, but unfortunately they were on another set (Mizuno MX-25) that I had sold to upgrade to the MX-200.  Looking back, I should've just stayed with the MX-25's as it is IDENTICAL to my current set, the MX-200..just some different graphics..but anyways..

Well, enough was enough and I decided to "upgrade" to a modern, lighter, shaft..the Nippon N.S. PRO 950GH.  I read up alot on these and many reviews said that they felt great for the smooth swinger (me) and they got the ball up high (which I like).

I've been playing a couple rounds to get used to them and I've been REALLY been enjoying them.  They are considerably lighter (95g) than the XP S300's (117g) which has allowed me to keep my swing speed up, if not a bit faster.  It would be comparable from swinging a broad sword and to a foil.  The ball really takes off and get nice and high.  I did notice that they play just a hair softer than the Dynalite SL R300's, but not by much.  I can really power through my swing, like before, with the Nippon 950GH.  It feels like running in running shoes, rather than snowboarding boots.  I'm really debating switching the shafts in my wedges to these as well.

If you are looking to upgrade into a really nice and lighter shaft, I HIGHLY recommend the Nippon N.S. PRO 950GH.  They usually come as an upgraded option on on many sets, but it is truly worth it.  It really makes this game a lot more enjoyable when you have equipment that feels good.

No comments: