Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Nikon and golf..

I've been an avid photographer (I use a Nikon D90) for the last three years and have to say that I love photography as I do playing golf.  Unfortunately, these are two activities that are not to cheap to keep up with.  For now, I'm happy with the photographic and golf equipment I have, but it has come at a cost.

For example, I can honestly say that one of my lenses cost over $1,500 (Nikon 17-55 f/2.8) and all lenses combined (I have 3) cost over $3000 (others being the Nikon 80-200 f/2.8 and 50 f/1.4D)..just the lens..*gulp*  I think you can at least buy a few sets of irons for that amount, no?  I have to admit, these lenses are professional grade lenses and the quality of them are just unbelievable..they're built like tanks.

Sure, I can't enjoy or dwell on a great round with the photographic gear, BUT I do get to make and keep great images with it.  If given the opportunity to hit a gorgeous drive or capture a gorgeous moment with my camera..I have to say the jury would be hung on this.  Maybe it's the creative side in me, but something about capturing the essence of a moment, the moment of time, and to explain it from my perspective is a very addicting..to say the least.

A good thing is, and good for my pockets, is that I am completely happy with my photographic gear.  Photographers are big gear head too, like golfers, and we love to buy all sorts of stuff..and trust me..there is ALOT of things you can buy in photography..a frigging lens cover/filter to protect your lense can cost $100..a hundred dollars!  My lens filters alone are over $300..and all they do is sit pretty on the lens..crazy and expensive huh?!

A few months ago, I really wanted to upgrade my camera body (this is just the body..lens not included..haha) to a full frame model for $2,700 (Nikon D700)..I was this close *space between my thumb and index finger pinching*, BUT for common sense finally kicked in.  Like golf gear, it' not the arrow, but the indian that kills the bear..and it's not the gear, but the photographer that takes the gorgeous picture.  This was a defining moment for me, and one that saved me alot of money, to understand this basic concept..one that is identical to buying golf equipment.

Anyway, I've already rambled long enough about this.  If anyone of you are also photo hounds, drop me a line..let's talk..maybe you're on Flickr too..damn you Nikon!

No comments: