Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Bridgeston J36 Pocket Cavity vs. Mizuno MX 25

Well, I finally got out today to test the Bridgestone J36 Pocket Cavity forged irons AND..I also got the Mizuno MX 25, also forged, to compare.  I know these are two different style irons and the J36 PC's are definitely more of a players iron, whereas the MX 25 are more of a game improvement iron.  I ran up and down both sets at the range under the same conditions today and the varying results of both sets were apparent. 

Let's begin with the J36 PC's, which I noticed immediately that the ball flight was lower BUT, much more penetrating than the MX 25's.  A lot probably had to due with the stiffer Project X 5.0 flighted shafts and that the swingweight on the J36 PC's are a D-3.  Just swinging the J36 PC's and you can immediately feel the heft of the iron. 

Fortunately, I have a smooth swing, which this iron requires, but you will be rewarded with a pure, low-mid ball flight.  I would have to say however I was about a club short all around with the J36 PC's.  There is a little room and less than perfect contact is immediate loss of distance.  These would be perfect for windy days where you wouldn't want the a low ball flight.  What seemed kind weird was that all the irons seem to act their respective lofts, however, on the 5 iron the flight seemed just too low and seemed more of a 3 iron flight.  Not sure if the lofts were off..but it was VERY apparent. 

The Mizuno MX 25's were a joy to hit and I have to be honest, easier and more forgiving.  I knew these were better suited for me when I tried to hit the 3 iron, which I never use nowadays, and hit a perfect laser down the middle with the first swing.  The ball flight is exactly what I was looking for and it got the ball up high.  The feeling is unbelievable with grain flow forged irons.  These hard as rock range balls felt like marshmellows..it almost got to a point where they felt a tad too mushy..if that's possible.  The shaft was the Dynamic Gold SL R300..and I feel tempted to try it in the S300.  I like the headsize of the MX 25's as it is identical to the Titleist AP1's that I was using before, but a thinner topline and obviously the unmatch forged feel.  I felt like I was almost swinging to fast with these irons.  It may be because I was hitting the heavier and stiffer J36 PC's and then these..but I'd still like to try these in the S300.

Both the J36 PC's and the MX 25's were a joy to hit and felt awesome, but the MX 25's were definitely more "fun" and easier to get going.  I have to say you need a fast head speed to get the true effectiveness of the J36 PC's, whereas with the MX 25's it's more player friendly..it will do with what you have. 

No comments: