Tuesday, April 22, 2008

GPS devices galore..uPro


I just got my the latest TGW (The Golf Warehouse) catalog yesterday. I usually thumb through it immediately to see if there's anything new and or exciting. Most of the time it's the same stuff throughout but what caught my attention were how many different GPS devices (not laser rangefinder) are out there now.
It used to be that SkyCaddie was the only GPS device available but as I browsed the TGW catalog there were devices from uPro, GolfBuddy and GolfLogix. I'm sure there will be more before the year is over.

Although all of these do the saem function of providing yardage to various places on the hole the device that really peaked my interest was the uPro device. Where as the screens on all GPS units are one dimensional, the uPro is a fully color, 3-D, unit that actually provides true, vibrant, color images of the hole..like what you would see on your t.v. The kicker is it has "highly developed GPS and Laser Range capabilities.." I visited their site and it is very interactive and informative. I'm not going into detail on everything the uPro does, their awesome site and do that, but in a nutshell it does everthing else a "regular" GPS device can't do. It even has voice recognition software..crazy. One quick thing that caught my attention was that it DOES NOT REQUIRE SOFTWARE, like my SkyCaddie (SG3), so you can use from any computer, anytime. Also it should be noted there is no annual membership fee but you do need to buy the courses to download. There are 2 types of course modes. "Basic Mode" which is just like all the other GPS devices and then the "Pro Mode" which provides full color aerial satellite shots of the hole and video flyovers and includes the "Basic Mode" capabilities.
The retail price on it is $399.95 (looking at my TGW catalog.). I'm not "bells and whistles" type of player and just happy with basic functions. I have to admit I haven't had any problems with my SC SG3 but wouldn't mind trying the uPro..I love gadgets.


No comments: